Onyekwere C, Adeyeye O, Ogbera A. Canadian Association of Gastroenterology. 2010 Abstracts.
OBJECTIVES: To determine the prevalence of symptomatic GERD among a population of known bronchial asthma patients and non asthmatic control matched for age and sex. 2) To document endoscopic findings in the patients found to have GERD and compare asthma severity in those asthmatics with and without GERD. 3) To determine GERD prevalence in the study subjects with and without obesity.
RESULTS: Ninety-eight Asthmatics (mean age (SD) 39.8years (17) and male: female ratio of 1:1.5), and 78 control (mean age (SD) 34years (12) and M: F ratio of 1:1.8) were studied.16 (16%) Asthmatics and 11 (16%) controls had a BMI > 30. The prevalence of symptomatic GERD in asthmatics and controls was (42%) and (35%) respectively; the difference was significant (chi square 52.68, p<0.01). Among the asthmatics 69 had abnormal PEFR while it was normal in 15. Of those with abnormal PEFR, 27 (39%) had F scale > 7 while in remaining 42 (61%) F scale was less than 7. The duration of asthma diagnosis ranged from 1month to 40 years; mean (SD) 7.8years (10).The asthma duration was short (<5years) in 43, medium (<10 years) in 12, and long duration (>10) in 39. F scale > 7 was noted in 13 (30%) with short duration, 6 (50%) medium duration, and 22 (56%) long duration of asthma diagnosis. 10 (37%) of obese subjects (BMI>30) had F -scale >7 while 28 (35%) of non-obese subjects had F scale > 7. The difference was significant (chi square 203, p<0.001.
CONCLUSION: The study has shown a significant higher prevalence of symptomatic GERD among asthmatics than a control with obese patients having a higher prevalence than non-obese. Among asthmatics, GERD prevalence appears to be related to the duration of asthma rather than severity as measured by PEFR. The symptom survey are corroborated by endoscopic as well as PH assessment. Further studies on the mechanisms underlying GERD in asthma as well as trial of antisecretory drugs in asthmatics are required.